Saturday, April 7, 2012

In the grand scheme of things, we really must recognize even the smallest pieces of good fortune. It's not that I was stuck babysitting my kids this morning. It isn't babysitting if they are my kids. I was watching them, for part of the time, at least. I was hanging out with them for part of the time. I was playing with them for part of the time. And that is where the wonderful piece happens. If I wouldn't have had s great morning with Julian, then I might have been really, really annoyed when he became stuck toward the top of a rock climbing wall. Of course I shouldn't be annoyed at that, but he's climbed rock walls a few times before without ant problem, but today wasn't that day. Today, he woke up before 5:30 ant grandma and papa's house. He chased the cats. He didn't really eat breakfast. We went for a cruise around Madera , which isn't very big, and finally ended up at Walmart and Starbucks all before 10:30. Now Madera is home away from home, but it's not home. It's where my wife grew up, but even she has been gone so long that many things have changed. Anyway, Julian got stuck up about two-thirds up the rock climbing wall, and without giving it a second thought, I just asked to go up and help get him down. I have Nieves been on a rock climbing wall, but it was okay. Ilittle by little he came down. He moved his hand from the blue rock to the red rock, just like I showed him. I looked into his eyes and saw fear. I saw the worst thing a parent can see when your child has to actually move his hand from the blue rock to the red rock himself. That paralyzingly fear is beyond anything we ever want to deal with. That moment when your child says," I can't do it," is alarming. Fortunately, I was able to climb the wall and help Julian down. An hour later when Maya freaked out and got stuck on the bumper boats, there was almost nothing we could do. She was on her own and so afraid that she almost jumped into the water to get away, but she didn't. Her cousin Jenna helped push her to safety. At least when we could do very little, she has someone nearby to make the seemingly impossible an actual reality..

No comments:

Post a Comment